The future of classics.

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
LooLooSud33Spider

The future of classics.

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

This should be interesting .
I find myself wondering what the future holds for our beloved old cars .
With the relentless war on cars and apparently all manufactures looking to drop production of all petrol and diesel vehicles how do you all think its all going to play out.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

junior

Re: The future of classics.

Post by junior »

Good question.

I think it depends on what happens with global warming and the Chinese desire for consumer goods.

Both huge uncertainty's.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Lou,

Farting cows are for the chop long before classic cars. They are more damaging to the environment than all the cars or all the aircraft. Methane is 20 times more damaging than CO2. Cows also release a lot of ammonia that is responsible for acid rain. We are losing forest at an alarming rate to produce pasture land for cows. Massive emissions to produce fertiliser to grow the grass and maize cows are fed.

In countries where water is scarce you have to keep in mind that one litre of milk takes 990 litres of water to produce!

Maybe we need a good bumper sticker for our old cars.

Brgds,
Simon

88liam

Post by 88liam »

Evening,

Cant see the humble combustion engine disappearing in our lifetime, its
been evolving for years, seriously?, diesels were the in thing for 2 decades
and promoted by our government, now public enemy no 1, can,t see batteries
replacing the combustion engine any time soon, obviously there,s been massive
developments but what is the true cost, can you see battery operated excavators,
hgv trucks, low loaders etc ??, petrol engines are more efficient and cleaner than
ever, sucks off the powers that be getting it wrong, rant over.

Liam

88liam

Post by 88liam »

LooLooSud33Spider wrote:This should be interesting .
I find myself wondering what the future holds for our beloved old cars .
With the relentless war on cars and apparently all manufactures looking to drop production of all petrol and diesel vehicles how do you all think its all going to play out.

Sorry Lou,

Forgot to mentioned great post, thread.
Interested in hearing others opinions,
read a few from editors in classic magazines
etc, some appear some what biased at times,
its in there vested interest i suppose to play it down.

Liam

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Guys,
As a diesel owner I get a bit miffed about the press saying diesels are bad petrol is good. What a load of cobblers.
My diesel is Euro 6 compliant which is why I had to put a gallon of adblue in it yesterday.
It gives you 1500 miles to put it in. I have heard they go in to limp mode and eventually stop working if you don’t put the adblue in.
So my NOx is low and my CO2 is low. Show me a petrol car as clean!

Oh the BMW i3 is fantastic and so is the BMW i8.

I would love a BMW C Evolution scooter.

Brgds
Simon

junior

Post by junior »

Marlow Sud wrote:Hi Guys,
As a diesel owner I get a bit miffed about the press saying diesels are bad petrol is good. What a load of cobblers.
My diesel is Euro 6 compliant which is why I had to put a gallon of adblue in it yesterday.
It gives you 1500 miles to put it in. I have heard they go in to limp mode and eventually stop working if you don’t put the adblue in.
So my NOx is low and my CO2 is low. Show me a petrol car as clean!

Oh the BMW i3 is fantastic and so is the BMW i8.

I would love a BMW C Evolution scooter.

Brgds
Simon
Also I believe there is a point as a diesel emits less CO2 than petrol per mile covered.

Yes NOx can be higher, but we worry about that as it affects humans, and the press love that issue.

Co2 affects the whole planet, yet it is viewed as a lesser problem :? Makes little sense to me.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

The farting cows, plus volcanos and evaporating sea don't seem to be recognised by the lunatics in control.

Without getting too deep, oil is a global currency/ economy so I suspect the impact of that will decide most outcomes.

What's the damage caused by making the batteries ?

Anyhow, enough of that, there an M3 on my drive with a full tank of vnitro, and I'm going to consume it all at an impressively less than average mpg rate. :D

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

All within legal road speeds eh Tim ? :D 8-)

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Of course, I drive everywhere at 8000rpm......in first gear :shock:

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Veesix75 wrote:The farting cows, plus volcanoes and evaporating sea don't seem to be recognised by the lunatics in control.
I hear Donald Trump is promoting American coal at the moment :D

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Coal is responsible for 46 per cent of global CO2 emissions.
And the prize for the biggest coal user in Europe by a massive margin goes to?

Germany!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

So it's a choice between a tesla or a Trump coal powered steam engine ......

I had had a drive in a tesla, and it was very good and very quick.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Never been in one but would love to have a go in a Tesla!

Brgds,
Simon

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Evening peeps
I worked on a Tesla p85 last December. Stunning car and so quick. But until they can make light weight batteries. And the cars alot cheaper . There years away. That car was worth £95000 at the time :shock:
I'll stick to my oil burner :D
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

You will need this as well!!
Attachments
20170612_101803.jpg

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

The Tesla model S is expensive but this is not and personally I think it is a better looking car:
8D4FA18F-D619-4DEF-86E3-1DBCB5B7E6B7.png

Brgds
Simon

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

I'm sure "Our beloved old cars" will still be around, used and appreciated for many many years to come. The supply of parts for many classics is probably better than cars of more recent times! Also classic parts are simpler and more easily manufactured.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Now i'm no fan of the assortment of ill conceived emission control devices, or so called solutions to a terribly inflated problem, and i certainly don't think that time is nigh on the combustion engine either. Taking into account as Liam touched on earlier, there is no better available for a wide range of heavier vehicles or plant than the humble diesel for starters, so i'm pretty well known for my contempt for catalysts, diesel particulate filters, egr valves etc, essentially culminating in a bypass, workaround, or dustbin for any or all of the aforementioned detroit stranglers! ;)

but rather than looking to futuristic designs to help save the desert penquin, i think the past can hold many answers too.

Remember Supercharged 2 stoke Diesels anyone?

Locally the Hoveringham Gravel lorries used these motors, and they were fantastic, and famous for it.

ok they were a plague on the local village of burton joyce, as the drivers were on piece work and held very little regard for the speed limit of a village that sprouted around a main carriageway, but the lorries themselves were great to see and hear.

I looked into it a bit some years ago, and apparently the 2 stroke cycle lends itself better to diesel than gasoline did, so with a supercharger aswell it was really very efficient and produced excellent power. With todays efi and electronics control, i reckon that could be a belting idea, well, a re-imagination!

As to the future of classic's, such as our 30,40,50 year old cars, it would appear that the government proposal regarding mot's is more akin to sweeping us under the carpet, than anything seriously addressing, but i don't quite think that's the full story, and there may just be an alterior motive behind it :?: :?: :?:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

junior

Post by junior »

I think greyhound buses were two stroke diesel which is why they sound so unique. I may be wrong. :roll:

I wonder if 2/ diesel is efficient though as any less CO2 is good for all of us. An the yanks are not known or their frugality.

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

My friend Sean is an HGV driver and loves his old American trucks - he introduced me to the Detroit Diesel powered GMC "Crackerbox"...

https://youtu.be/8XG_JfyPdvE

Apparently most of the American trucks from the 60s and 70s used 2-stroke Diesel power, either normally aspirated or forced induction. They sound fantastic because being a 2-stroke they fire twice as fast as an equivalent 4-stroke, so they sound like they are revving to 8,000 rpm!

Coming back to the future of classics, I think in this country at least it will be very difficult to legislate old cars off the road. Compared to France (who appear to have no interest in classic cars and prefer a Citroen MPV stuffed with gadgets to a Ligier JS2) and Germany (who have all but driven old cars off the road with punitive catalyst retrofits), the UK has a very deeply ingrained love of old cars, which extends to the highest levels of government. Innumerable Tory MP petrolheads, 2-Jags, the aristocracy (Lord March), a classic car spares and service industry (only for MGs mind you) that brings £billions in revenue every year... it's going to be hard to close that all down...

Lauren

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Oh these weren't yank, these were Foden! :o

I believe the engine was the FD6 Mk6, with supercharger, and i found this slightly hilarious clip, which is entertainment enough, but watch some of their other clips too, very good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMIStPzUZwc
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Just a side note, and reference to some above text,

I read that the severity of cattles effect on things is far greater than we are allowed to believe, but, its actually burps, not farts that are damaging! :?

Weird eh?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

I read somewhere that termites were the main culprits but that might have changed.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Blue Planet II really gets you thinking. Particularly with regard to plastics in seas, raised sea temperatures and raised salinity.
brgds
Simon

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Marlow Sud wrote:Blue Planet II really gets you thinking. Particularly with regard to plastics in seas, raised sea temperatures and raised salinity.
brgds
Simon
Morning
Got to agree about blue planet and plastic . Did any of you see the one show on Thursday or Friday. With the girl who paddle boards and collects plastic on her board ? Hers set up a group that cleans rivers this way. She also paddled across the channel. Collecting water samples on her way. There was plastic in ever sample.to small to see with the eye. Sad times ahead . Right I'm off to hug a tree :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20171126_102116.png