The Puzzle Post!

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
BS25

Re: The Puzzle Post!

Post by BS25 »

:D

I think the clamshell wings are no longer available on the newer cars - though most did go out with the cycle wings, the clamshells kept the car cleaner when used all year round in the UK! Is it your car Tony?

I'll have a look around for a suitable vehicle for you all to ponder over!

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

No not mine Bryan it's in one of my customers "Bodyshop" not just a "fit parts" place. The clamshells he said are now unobtainable new so these he'd refurbed. He does other racing stuff i've seen more than one Ginetta in there. Spots like this is why I always have my camera with me - no smart phone. Lol

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Here's one for you all:-
DSC02638.JPG

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Love the rocket launchers !!
I will have a crack at something like a Chevron ?

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Nope - of that era though - I took the pic at Classic Le Mans 2012, the car in front is a Porsche 917 but I thought you'd all get that!

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Love the Goodyear stickers but riding on Avons. Ford rear lights-is that a clue?

Jube

Post by Jube »

Good one Bryan, The rear lights are from a MK1 Cortina which could suggest a 60's race car with a Ford connection?

Looks quite bespoke so maybe a special one off TVR as they were also using the MK1 Cortina lights on their 60's Grantura MkIV around this time.

Anywhere near?

Jube

Post by Jube »

Ah, not the only one to spot the Ford connection then!

Just shows how slow I am at typing. :D

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Second choice was a Lola of some sort :?

Jube

Post by Jube »

Wow, managed to finally find out what it is BUT only due to your clue - I'd have NEVER of got the answer without your additional info!

I won't spoil it yet for everyone though...

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Wow took some googling. Howmet TX turbine.

Jube

Post by Jube »

What a really interesting car for it's time (or indeed now) - actually had an electric motor for reverse.

Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howmet_TX

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Thanks for that I couldn't copy the link. Great read.

BS25

Post by BS25 »

That's correct! It made a fantastic noise too!

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Darn it! I knew the answer to that one!

I love the Howmet Tx! McKee CanAm chassis, and (in the originals at least) a Bell-Textron prototype helicopter turbine. This looks like the one belonging to the French guy, who has re-instated the original wastegate set-up (the centre pipe), where you can dump the boost, oddly by flooring the throttle.

If you haven't seen this incredible car spooling up on the start line, may I introduce you to some of the best in-car footage ever...

http://youtu.be/x24c-7pJZeM

(Qualy at Spa-Francorchamps)

http://youtu.be/Zk8tfSFOJ9Q

(Le Vigeant)

The guy only has one hand, but that doesn't stop him blasting past a lot of fast machinery!

The sound is awesome!

Always wanted to make a jet car - Allison 250 helicopter engine is the preferred starting point, about 300 shp at sea level, with over 625 lb/ft of torque at zero rpm...

Lauren

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Brilliant videos - it blitzed past the Ferrari Daytona on the run up to Les Combes!

The sound was so distinctive at Le Mans too - it was easy to tell what was approaching during the night!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Oh Lauren !!
What fantastic clips, that thing is unreal. How does he drive it with one hand ?
Thanks also to Bryan for getting us searching.
Awesome !!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Ditto!

Fantastic to see and even better to hear i bet,

Crikey!! :o
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

junior

Post by junior »

Ha. That footage made me smile. Excellent. Reminded me of a friend who was late to meet me one evening and when he arrived he was still shaking

as his friend had asked him to help while they ran up a home made model of a jet engine in his garage. He said it was terrifying being next to an

untested engine, but he would not have missed it for the world. Large thermos flask sized.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

OMG. That sound amazing :twisted: but ive got to say my 33 sounded better round spa tho :lol: well nearly ;)